Monday 17 October 2011

Project 3: AMAZING INTERSECTION OF FLOCKS

In a process of investigation on behavior of bird flocks I came across this video on youtube. I fell in love with it instantly. Immediately I knew that this was exactly what I was looking for. Also I realised soon that there was no way that I would record any video that would be even close to this one. That is why I borrowed it and based this project on observation on this masterpiece. It was recorded by Dylan Winter in Otmoor near Oxford. The music was composed by Johan Pachelbel, German composer of 17th century and was performed by London Symphony Orchestra. Enjoy!



After several viewings of the video I made few sketches on actual movement of the flocks...

... then I made few sketched in colour (thank you, Mary, for the brush!) trying to divide each flock from each other for a better explanation what was actually happening in this fabulous performance...


... then I create ‘blocks’ of flocks in coloured paper collage...
... and another one:


I tried to create some intersection effect using coloured cellophane:


Then I felt that there was time for some kind of 3D visualisation. I made few sketches of intersection of few free shapes:



I draw a picture of the shapes in colour that I wanted to use.



To create these shapes I choose a thin foam, usually used for craft:



Suddenly there was a space for playing with these pieces in my ‘BOX’. Here are some samples arranged with a white background...





...and here are some used with a black background:




I would like to say that I really enjoyed this process and would like to thank the cameraman for doing such a great job. With my limited knowledge of nature I would not even imagine that such a beautiful choreography happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment